Recharging a prepaid meter has always been a Herculean task considering the stress one will pass through to do this. However, the adoption of a digital method by the Electricity Distribution Companies has made it easier to recharge a prepaid meter from your bed.
During the days of no online method, you will have to get your prepaid meter card to a regional branch of your state’s Electricity Distribution Company before 4:00 pm. This was not so easy due to the busy schedule of many Nigerians and can be very frustrating.
Fortunately, this article will expose you to the different methods of recharging your prepaid meter through the internet in Nigeria in detailed steps. So, the next time you can make it to a regional office of NEPA (the popular name referring to Electricity Distribution Companies in Nigeria); just grab your smartphone and recharge your prepaid meter through any of the methods below.
Below are the methods to recharge your prepaid meter online in Nigeria:
Through Mobile Banking Apps
Mobile banking apps serve as a gateway to all modes of payments like airtime recharge, transfers and others. There are lots of Nigerian banking apps like; Access Bank, GT World, First Mobile App, Zenith Bank App, FCMB Mobile App, UBA Mobile App, Kuda Bank App, and so on.
These banking apps can be easily used to recharge your prepaid meter online through the following steps:
- Download and install any of the mobile banking apps mentioned above on the Google Playstore or Apple Store.
- Note that if you are downloading an app of an established bank; ensure you have an account with the bank. Digital banks like Kuda, Alat, and so on can be downloaded by anyone.
- Launch the app, fill in the required field, and click on the Pay Bills bar on your dashboard (the first page)
- Choose the kind of bill transaction you want to perform by clicking on Utilities and specify the Electricity Distribution Company you would like to pay to
- Input your meter number and the amount you intend to recharge from your bank’s account balance
- Type in your transaction pin for the payment to proceed on the next page
- Your token will be sent to your SMS inbox and your registered email
- Input the token as usual to recharge your meter
- You can see that the steps are very easy, right? We have more for you; scroll to the next method.
Have you heard of BuyPower? This is one of the easiest methods of recharging your prepaid meter as you need to just purchase your token on its website.
One advantage of purchasing your prepaid meter token through websites is the numerous numbers of payment methods that are supported by these websites. Kindly follow the steps below to access and navigate the BuyPower website to get your prepaid electricity tokens.
- Visit www.buypower.ng on your phone or smartphone
- Fill in the required details which include your full name, phone number, distribution company, email address, amount of units to be bought, and so on
- Click on the continue button to proceed to the final next step
- On the payment page, select your preferred method of payment. You can select from any debit card, bank transfer, or USSD code.
- To use your debit card, input your card details and wait for a One Time Password (OTP) to be sent to the phone number linked to your bank account
- Be patient for the transaction to be processed; afterwards, the token will be delivered to your email address and phone number
VTU is another website that can be accessed nationwide to recharge your prepaid meter online. Apart from recharging prepaid meters, you can also use the platform to purchase airtime, mobile data, and also convert airtime to cash.
This website works in the same as the BuyPower website above and allows you to make bill payments without stress.
You can get your prepaid meter token on VTU through the following steps:
- Visit www.vtu.ng on your phone or computer and select the electricity distribution company of your choice
Note: The website might take some time to load; just wait for it to fully load
- Select if your meter is a prepaid or postpaid model then proceed to input your meter number in the text box. Click continue to proceed
- You will also be required to provide your email address, phone number, and other necessary information before you proceed to select your preferred payment method
- Once the payment has been successfully confirmed, the prepaid token would be sent to your phone number or email address
iRecharge is another amazing website you can quickly use to recharge your prepaid meter online. The platform also offers a variety of services like bank transfer, payment of bills, mobile data plan purchase, and airtime purchase.
To recharge your prepaid meter through this platform, follow the steps outlined below:
- Enter www.irecharge.ng in the address of your browser and wait for it to fully load.
- On the homepage, a welcome message like this should be displayed “Welcome, what are you purchasing today?” This will confirm you are on the right website.
- From the options provided, click on Electricity and input your phone number before proceeding
- Provide other essential details like your email address, amount, state, meter number, and meter type. Click on the confirm button to affirm that you have inputted the right info.
- Once you confirm this, you will be redirected to the payment gateway page where you can select a preferred option to make payments.
- Afterward, a receipt will be generated when to confirm you have successfully purchased the token
- Wait for your token to be sent to your number or email address in a few minutes
Recharging your prepaid meters online will definitely save you from a lot of stress and gives you room to do some other things. All the websites we listed above are tested and trusted as they have been proven to be approved affiliates of several electricity distribution companies in Nigeria.
However, it is wise to always keep receipts and other forms of evidence of transactions generated on these platforms in case there of a technical glitch.